Ceylon M5 “Nesa Pong” is now available for download, along with a simultaneous compatible release of Ceylon IDE. This is a huge release, with the following headline features:
- a fully-reified type system with generic type arguments available at runtime,
- several important syntax changes in response to community feedback and practical experience, and
- a datetime module and an HTTP server.
You can download the Ceylon command line distribution here:
Or you can install Ceylon IDE from our Eclipse update site.
M5 is an almost-complete implementation of the Ceylon language, including the following new features compared to M4:
- verbatim strings
=>abbreviation for defining single-expression functions
- syntactic sugar for iterables
- more powerful spread operator
- binary and hexadecimal numeric literals
- defaulted type parameters
- reified generics
- many miscellaneous minor improvements to the syntax and typing rules of the language
ceylon.net.http.serverpackage (a HTTP server)
- reworked interop with Java arrays
- more than 500 features and bug fixes
The following language features are not yet supported in M5:
- the type safe metamodel
- user-defined annotations
The source code for Ceylon, its specification, and its website, is freely available from GitHub:
Bugs and suggestions may be reported in GitHub's issue tracker.
The new platform modules are available in the shared community repository, Ceylon Herd.
We're deeply indebted to the community volunteers who contributed a substantial part of the current Ceylon codebase, working in their own spare time. The following people have contributed to this release:
Gavin King, Stéphane Épardaud, Tako Schotanus, Emmanuel Bernard, Tom Bentley, Aleš Justin, David Festal, Flavio Oliveri, Max Rydahl Andersen, Mladen Turk, James Cobb, Tomáš Hradec, Michael Brackx, Ross Tate, Ivo Kasiuk, Enrique Zamudio, Roland Tepp, Diego Coronel, Brent Douglas, Corbin Uselton, Loic Rouchon, Lukas Eder, Markus Rydh, Matej Lazar, Julien Ponge, Julien Viet, Pete Muir, Nicolas Leroux, Brett Cannon, Geoffrey De Smet, Guillaume Lours, Gunnar Morling, Jeff Parsons, Jesse Sightler, Oleg Kulikov, Raimund Klein, Sergej Koščejev, Chris Marshall, Simon Thum, Maia Kozheva, Shelby, Aslak Knutsen, Fabien Meurisse, Paco Soberón, sjur, Xavier Coulon.